Skip to main content


Every year over 20,000 people die in the U.S. from lung cancer caused by radon.

Radon is a naturally occurring invisible, odorless gas that can enter any home through cracks and gaps in the foundation. Radon decays into radioactive particles that, when inhaled, can damage the DNA in sensitive lung cells. The damaged cells can then become cancerous.

Colorado has some of the highest incidences of radon in the United States, with more than 50% of homes registering high radon levels.

Living in a home with average levels of radon (6.4pCi/L) for one year is like having 200 chest x-rays every year.

Testing for radon is easy - simply contact the Hinsdale County Building Official to ask about borrowing a Continuous Radon Monitor at 970.944.2225.

The Radon Detector is only available to Hinsdale County residents.

If you do have high levels of radon in your home, fixing the problem is easy and inexpensive.

Fixing radon issues in your home 

For full details, download this guide to fixing radon issues in your home.

Go to Resource

Radon and its effects 

You can learn more about radon and its effects on you and your family in the infographic below.

Go to Resource